Dry mouth also known as xerostomia in medical terms, is a condition when saliva production slows down and your mouth becomes so dry that you feel like your mouth is full of cotton wool. Finding way to get rid of dry mouth?
This condition is usually followed by bad breath, a dry throat, a dry tongue, a tingly sensation, difficulty swallowing as well as an unquenchable thirst. The reasons of cotton mouth may vary however, it mostly includes gingivitis, stress, menopause, swollen mouth, smoking and yeast infection as well as side effects of certain medications.
Low saliva flow rate diminishes the capability of the mouth to fight back bacteria since saliva production can help you to break down food, improve digestion and prevent tooth decay. Yet, if you are still wondering how to eliminate cotton mouth then do not worry. There are many natural home remedies that can help you to get rid of dry mouth. They will enhance saliva production and keep your mouth moist.
Here are several natural home remedies that you can try out
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dry Mouth
Munch on Sugar-free Candies
One of the easiest and simplest remedy to get rid of cotton mouth is to chew some sugar – free hard candies to enhance the saliva production. Chewing naturally will help you to regulate the saliva glands especially chewing gum. You can munch on sugar – free chewing gums. You should consume those with cinnamon, mint and citrus flavored candies to get rid of bad breath too. However, do not overconsume otherwise you might suffer from muscular, abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Keep Yourself Hydrated
Increase your fluid consumption or drink water more regularly to avoid cotton mouth. Appropriate hydration will help you to enhance salivary glands which will keep your mouth moist. Here are several methods to keep yourself hydrated:
Drink enough water all the day or you can munch on several ice cubes in case you are unable to drink sufficient water.
Alternatively, you can consume pieces of frozen fruits and vegetables such as cucumber, pineapple, muskmelon and watermelon. Drink several cups of coconut water on a daily basis.
Sip water when you are eating meals. This will aid you in chewing and swallowing easier.
Limit Alcohol Intake
Alcohol has diuretic properties which can dehydrate your body and cause your mouth to dry out. It can discourage your saliva glands as well. Alcohol also makes your kidneys drain out your body thus, reducing alcohol intake can help you to get rid of cotton mouth. Avoid using mouthwash that has alcohol, since it can lead to over – drain out of your body.
- Instead of using your mouthwash, you can create your own mouthwash:
- Mix 1 glass of warm water, ¼ teaspoon of baking soda and 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
- Use this to rinse your mouth every 3 hours on a daily basis. And wash your mouth again with water.
Cardamom is known to be one of the most effective home remedies to eliminate the dry mouth problem even though it contains unpleasant taste. The spice can induce saliva and stimulate taste buds as well.
- Chew cardamom seeds to moisten your mouth and also relieve the issue of bad breath.
- Alternatively, grind cardamom seeds and mix them with a cup of lukewarm water.
- Boil the mixture for about 10 – 15 minutes and consume it.
- It should be done once on a daily basis.
Try Saliva Substitutes
Saliva substitutes (artificial saliva) are liquids which might be sprayed into the mouth. They are specially designed to work as a saliva and lubricate the mouth. Use this regularly, you can help you reduce the chronic discomfort sensation from cotton mouth.
Artificial saliva might not be a perfect substitute since it does not include the microbes which can protect you from tooth decay or break down food. But it contains components to emulate the viscosity or saliva’s thickness which can help to enhance moisture retention. Though it is one of the most effective and easiest way to get rid of cotton mouth, there are many complaints about the taste and it is also an expensive method.
Your body might wake you up multiple times during night to alarm that your body is lack of water which subsequently have a great impact on your sleep quality and duration. Thus to add moisture into the air, you can use humidifier or air filter. It can help you maintain your body temperature and improve your sleep quality.
Breathe through Nose
When you are suffering from dry mouth, you should try to breathe through your nasal passages because breathing via your mouth not only causes dry mouth but also lead to different bad conditions.
If you have difficulties in breathing via your nose, you can use saline drops or steam inhalation to get rid of congestion.
Mix one glass of warm water and add in ½ teaspoon of salt into and stir well.
Use this solution to gargle your mouth every day in the morning after you wake up and before going to bed at night. It will help you to cause salivary glands to secrete saliva as well as reduce the dry mouth’s problem.
Try to inhale in the steam from a boiling kettle to unclog the decongested nasal passages and airways in your nose.
Another method to get rid of cotton mouth is to use cayenne pepper. This pepper can stimulate and trigger the taste buds which can lead to salivary glands to work and enhance the flow of saliva production.
- Take some ground pepper and rub inside your mouth especially your tongue.
- Alternatively, you can sprinkle some pepper on your soup, salad and other dishes.
- You can also purchase cayenne pepper tablets which can be used after visiting doctor.
Ginger can be considered as one of the most effective in switching on the salivary glands in order to stimulate the saliva production and give a fresh sensation to the mouth.
- Chew a piece of fresh ginger. It will work as an appetizer and simultaneously give you fresh breath.
- Alternatively, ginger juice can also be used to treat cotton mouth problem by carrying a small bottle with you to get rid of cotton mouth.
- Moreover, you can also drink 2 – 3 glasses of ginger tea with honey to regulate salivary glands.
This can help to stimulate the saliva production. You can take some fennel seeds and chew several times on a daily basis especially after the meat to get rid of bad breath as well as cotton mouth problem.
Moreover, you can also mix some fenugreek seeds and fennel seeds and use a pan to fry them. Grind them and mix with some salt. You can eat this mixture directly or you can mix them with water.
Several Notes of What to Do and What Not to Do
- Toothpaste contains fluoride so use them to treat cotton mouth
- Wash your mouth daily with warm water after having a meal
- Regularly brush your teeth or floss them and remember to cleanse your tongue frequently to avoid tooth decay and cotton mouth
- Consume more liquid especially water and fruit juice
- Avoid caffeinated drinks since they can drain out your mouth.
- Avoid consuming spicy and oily food since these may cause the inner side of the mouth triggered and drain out the saliva production.
- Avoid consuming acidic food such as apple, orange, grapefruits, tomatoes and grapes. The food can turn the pH balance and induce urination as well as dry your mouth easier.
- Also avoid using decongestants and antihistamines
- Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco.